A Man of Letters
Thursday, January 09, 2003
 
OBSERVED:

PUBLIC ART

So I caught myself giving the "what's up nod" to a homeless guy I see around occasionally. Most days he hangs out in the park near the Spanish-American War Memorial. I'm not sure why I assumed we were on friendly enough terms to give him the nod, but I guess I just wanted to let him know I'm a fan of his work.

I think it's the shrieking I most appreciate.

Some days, when he gets the urge, he'll throw his blanket around his shoulders like a cape and run up and down the sidewalk just screaming nonsense as loud as he can. I'm sure it's mainly the voices telling him to run around with 4 pairs of pants on, and a stained army blanket wrapped around his shoulders, but I think part of him enjoys freaking out the squares. The day he decided to run around in traffic at lunch hour with his ass hanging out of all four pairs of pants was when I realized he was a true artist, and for that I salute him.


Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger